Wednesday, August 17, 2011

DIY: Change Your Clothes

So, I have this dress. I got it for $4 at Ross, and because it was such a good deal (and my size), I couldn't pass it up. I like the graceful, flowery print, and the fit was unexpected on a simple sundress.  But I didn't love the neckline. 



It was so boxy, and square, and changed the otherwise interesting fit of the garment.  I'm not really interested in cleavage, but it needed something.  So I changed it to a sweetheart neckline.

Step 1: Spread your garment on a flat surface, face up, and decide where you want to make a change.  I simply pulled the points in until they formed obtuse triangles (I think) and gently marked the corners with dots inside the folds.



Step 2: Thread your needle.  Carefully.  I used only about six inches of thread, and doubled it, so that it would be stronger.  And easier to hold when knotting the thread.  Match up your marked points, then insert the needle, pulling your doubled thread through to the point where you can make another stitch.  Continue sewing up to the seam, then repeat on other side.  



(Note: I had to move to the other side of the garment, since I can't do diddly with my left hand, apparently.)



Step 3: You're as close to done as I got for today, though I may come back and embellish with some buttons.  If you choose to do this, studs work nicely on little frilly dresses.

So, now what do you do?  Why, reinterpret Alice in Wonderland, of course!



Dress: Ross; bow: Forever 21, tights: DKNY, amazing shoes: Poetic License (at Gabe's), jewelry: Betsey Johnson (Nordstrom Rack)
Artwork: Urban Outfitters

Little quirks like this make your clothes look and feel tailored and expensive.  Yes, I'll have to hand-wash this now, but it's worth the wear.  Do you have any awesome projects in the works?

XOXO,
Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...