Wednesday, August 10, 2011

DIY: Altered States


I love that Moe decided to discuss the topic of men’s clothing (and the sublime style that can stem from it for both sexes).  I have often felt that it was unfair that women can borrow a masculine aesthetic, but it’s not really accepted for men to borrow more feminine looks (just for the record I think it is fine, guys).  So when I see a gentlemen that clearly has put thought, interest, and originality into dressing himself I can’t help wanting to shake his hand and make his acquaintance.  It is a lot more difficult for guys to be visually interesting in clothing because they have so many fewer options.  So kudos to the men in Moe’s post!  And to all you Dapper Dans out there, I salute you!

If you are like me and occasionally want to go the whole ten yards and wear men’s clothing (as opposed to men’s wear inspired pieces made for ladies), you might be left desiring a more flattering fit for your female figure.  It’s simple enough to belt an oversized shirt and roll up the sleeves to turn a dress shirt into a shirt-dress.  But what about the endlessly alluring blazer?  The one I inherited (from my great-aunt, actually) was large and very masculine looking. 


I loved the broad shoulders, but hated the lack of a waist it created on my rather short frame.  The best solution I came up with for re-purposing the loose jacket was to remove the second button and re-sew it higher and to the left so that it nipped in at the waist.  The overlap created by this covers the old button and lends a quirky edge to what was, in my opinion, a rather librarian-esque jacket.  And not in a good way.


You can easily pick up an old men’s coat from a thrift store and make it slightly more feminine and flattering with a repair that takes less than 10 minutes.  It’s the perfect time for year, because the winter clothes from last year might still be marked down and there’s still plenty of time to pick out an interesting button.


What other simple alterations do you make to thrift picks to make them your own? If you have any other tips or tricks let us know.  We can't wait to hear from you!
inexpensively yours, 

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...