Friday, August 19, 2011

Fashion for Less : Icing on the Cake

If you've ever checked out Five Sixteenths (or the now archived blog Cross My Hooks) you'll know my love affair with Claire'sIcing stems from a long time commitment to working for a girl-conscious business.  I loved working there not only because of this discount *wink* but because of the kids who came in to discover their style.  Now this may sound lame, but I loved how girls would come in & mix and match our styles.  We had loads of inspiration around the store & tons of helpful staff ready & willing to help the girls by earrings, necklaces, & bags to accentuate a style they loved.

It is no surprise then that eventually a post on est. 1839 would feature these stores.  Recently I applied to work back at an Icing store in the new city I moved to.  I am hoping to reschedule an interview soon so I can get back to being on top of the hippest trends this side of awesome.

When I went in the other day, unaware that I wouldn't interview, I have on a super fly 80s inspired outfit complete with biker short leggings & blazer!  I do have a thing for Molly Ringwald-esque fashion.  My hair was doing the perfect hair flip thing & I felt super confident:

I am growing my hair out (if I keep saying it, I'll keep doing it!) & I really want it to have more texture.
My mother has given me her old hot rollers set & I tried it Wednesday,
the curls fell out before lunch :(

So speaking of 80s I am in love with the neon color (or how about Day Glow?) pallet for this summer.  I can't wait to translate it into fall too.  It's weird, but to mean, sometimes neon colors go into jewel tones so I don't feel there is a complete lack of color in the fall.  I've already talked about my love affair with Gray Tights for Fall on Five Sixteenths & neon goes great with gray especially citron & hot pink.  These color pallet I found sum it all up:

citron, hot pink, & gray

black, hot pink, citron, guacamole

The point of this post is to showcase some Fashion for Less right?  Two of these things aren't so on the less side (unless you are payin $8+ for yours) & one is on the alright side.  What are they? Nail Polish! I took a cue from miss Megan & decided to pick up a few to add to my own collection!


Icing Chip Resistant Neon Yellow & Crackle in Hot Pink, $4.50 each
NYC Gray, ~$2

I know summer is on it's way out but I really want to keep the neon trend into the fall so I thought about purchasing some knock-out neon nail color & a bottle of a gorgeous gray.  

the neon pink is crackle & the neon yellow is chip resistant.  I have to say it stays true to its word too!  I few coats are required to get the grand neon pop, (and make sure you wait long enough for it to dry!) but otherwise you will be totally satisfied with no chip nails. I wore this for about a week & goodness gracious no chips!

When using the crackle, make sure you have a top coat! It feels kinda weird to the touch, like it will just rub off.  I didn't test it!  If you want a lot of cracks, use a thin coat.  More thicker cracks? A thick coat is your friend.  For fun, blow on it right after you've applied the crackle, you'll see it break!

Did you dig this summer trend?
How will you carry it on into the fall?

ps. did you know you can follow us on twitter? Est. 1839 tweets all the time!!
follow @est1839blog

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...