Wednesday, September 14, 2011

DIY: Cobble Time

Did you know that cobblers aren't reserved strictly for peaches or other stone fruits?  Although they are perfectly delicious, human cobblers (not delicious) are people who mend shoes.  With a deep dish biscuit crust.

Anyway, shoes are pretty freakin' important to me and all the other ladies with whom I blog, so I thought it was high time to fix up the sole train.  Here's a small, inexpensive fix for a pesky problem.



Many of my shoes, however beautiful, lack traction in the sole.  I once completely wiped out walking down a newly waxed hallway in the English department, and got some nice new bruises. Deal breaker? No. Dangerous? Yes.  Will you walk like you're on an ice rink, and therefore look less awesome? Double yes.

You will need: Scissors, glue (non-toxic and weatherproof, $6 at Michael's), and small adhesive disks.



The disks are usually used for furniture (think the legs of a chair or the feet of a coffee table). I found them at the Dollar Tree for $1.



Spread the glue in a thin layer over the sticky side of the disk, then adhere to the shoe. Try to place according to where you distribute your weight, like the balls of your feet.



I don't have amazing posture, so I put an extra support on the far right of my shoe, since I tend to wear out that part.  Keep shoes stationary and exposed to air, allowing the glue to dry.  When the glue is dry, it will become clear.



Enjoy your new-found stability by runway walking down a bowling alley, a Slip-'N-Slide, or a giant buttered piece of toast.  It costs less than $2 per pair of shoes, and now you can charge your friends to fix their shoes!  You're welcome ;)

XOXO,
Jenni

5 comments:

  1. Cool idea - I'll have to try that out since doing the peg leg walk of shame just isn't a look I can rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a heels girl but those polka dot shoes are lovely! Great DIY, thanks for sharing.

    Gabby
    http://stardependentvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Thanks ladies - isn't it weirdly easy to think of scenarios for slippery shoes?

    Gabby, those shoes are Poetic License, and I found them at a Gabriel Brother's. They are super femme, which I just love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good idea. I remember once I wound up in a very undignified heap on the slopping ramp down to the train station. My high heeled boots just lost traction on the surface and my feet just sort of slid out from under me. No real damage, except to my dignity

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lyn, you poor dear! I hope this helps :)

    A little update - for your lovely autumn boots, rubbing the sole with a fine grit sandpaper will also do the trick.

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...