Friday, July 8, 2011

Fashion For Less Friday


One of the many perks of being an artist/writer/musician/printmaker/blogger is that we have equally (if not more) talented friends. Our friend Jared is a gifted photographer, and today he snapped pics of me in some of my frugalest finds. I'll share them with you, plus outfit ideas and shopping tips.


I found this funky safari-inspired romper ($8) at Forever 21, and although rompers pose slightly more wardrobe malfunction (add a few minutes when powdering your nose) risk, they're definitely worth it for the daring. Since it's summer and so hot, I wore a locket ($4) and a bag, but ordinarily I would wear tights and a cardigan and maybe a scarf. Yes, you should be totes jeal of my ($12) Chanel bag, and yes, any major city Goodwill has troves of fashion treasures. If that's not an option, those denim espadrilles were just $12 at Roses in Farmville.



This adorable girl is Molly, who is a food and culture junkie, not to mention an amazing singer. We went to my favorite Vietnamese place, then she agreed to be photographed for this article because that beautiful maxi dress with its violet-hued paisley came from Kohl's ($15).



I guess I felt extra jetset today, so I put on another thrifty ($3) find from another Goodwill, albeit not from a major city. This dress is super versatile, which is helpful when establishing a style. Here I wore it with those amazing lime-green suede pumps ($8 at Gabriel Brothers), but ordinarily I would wear an embellished sandal, sunglasses, and maybe a hat with a large floppy brim. It's a classic shape, but it definitely needs a belt ($15 Betsey Johnson at Marshalls), and the wider your belt is, the littler your waist looks. I also recommend a chunky bangle and dangling earrings, or a standout pendant. Whichever you prefer - make it your own.



This is one of my favorite looks - the idea that you can throw on a chic little dress with a few interesting details and look great everywhere. I found this adorable ($5) dress at Rugged Wearhouse in Lynchburg, and I've nicknamed it my "Parisian bistro dress", because I can put it on and all I need is my bicycle and a baguette. I paired it with ($10) pop-art flats from Urban Outfitters, a picnic-basket-shaped necklace by Betsey Johnson ($25 at Nordstrom Rack), and a wonderful Marc Jacobs bag ($58 - pricy, I know, but I love it, at Saks Off Fifth).  I call it my "Inception bag", because it's a handbag with a sketch of a handbag on it. Or a dream within a dream.

Which finds are you most proud of? Let us know right here, right now.

XOXO,
Jenni


No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...